Same-Day Outpatient Total Joint Replacement Surgery
Traditionally performed as inpatient procedures, total hip replacement, total knee replacement, and partial knee replacement can now be performed on an outpatient basis, allowing patients to go home just hours after surgery. You may be a candidate for same-day joint replacement surgery if:
- You are active and in good health, with no major medical conditions (heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, uncontrolled diabetes, etc.)
- You have a strong support system at home, with family or friends who are willing to assist in your recovery
- You are committed to your physical therapy care plan and doing what it takes to recover at home
Your Spectrum surgeon will discuss these requirements with you during your consultation to determine if same-day outpatient total joint replacement is a good option for you. If you are interested in outpatient hip or knee replacement, call (330) 305-0838 to make an appointment with one of the following Spectrum surgeons in North Canton:
- Tim K. Conlan, MD
- Steven Coss, MD
- Jeffrey S. Dulik, DO
- Ericka Glass, MD
- Michael L. Lykins, DO
- Dean J. Marshall DO
- Mark J. Shepard, MD
Learn more about same-day outpatient total joint replacement below.
Advancements in joint replacement surgery have led to minimally invasive methods that utilize smaller incisions and preserve as much healthy tissue around the joint as possible. In addition, the advanced anesthesia techniques we use at Ohio Specialty Surgical Suites result in much better immediate pain control than general anesthesia.
Other benefits of minimally invasive outpatient hip and knee replacement include:
- Ability to recover in the comfort of your own home, thereby eliminating the risk of hospital-acquired infections
- Smaller incisions, which results in:
- Less pain and swelling
- Decreased scarring
- Faster recovery
- Minimal blood loss during surgery and fewer complications
- Less damage to surrounding tissues
- Increased range of motion after surgery
Prior to your outpatient hip or knee replacement, your orthopedic surgeon will explain how the surgery will be performed, while the surgery center staff will explain how to prepare for surgery, what happens when you arrive for your procedure, and what to expect as you recover at home.
You and your support people, such as your spouse, will meet with the anesthesia team and on-site physical therapists. They will provide you with detailed instructions in pre-operative cleansing, ambulation with a walker, and post-operative physical therapy. They will discuss the type of anesthesia you will receive and give you medications or prescriptions to be filled in advance of the surgery.
A physical therapist will have you on your feet within hours your same-day hip or knee replacement. Once your vital signs are stable and you can tolerate a regular diet and maintain adequate pain control with oral pain medication, you will be discharged to go home.
Physical therapy after knee replacement surgery: You will go home with a sequential compression device and begin outpatient physical therapy the next day. Your physical therapist will create a customized, accelerated rehabilitation program to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.
Physical therapy after hip replacement surgery: Many of our hip replacement patients do not need outpatient physical therapy. Your doctor will provide instructions at discharge regarding rehabilitation.
While each patient’s recovery time varies, most return to normal activities within 2 to 4 weeks, as opposed to 2 to 3 months following traditional hip or knee replacement surgery.
Ohio Specialty Surgical Suites
Ambulatory Surgical Center for Same-day Outpatient Total Joint Replacement Surgery
Surgeons at Spectrum Orthopaedics perform same-day outpatient total joint replacement at Ohio Specialty Surgical Suites (OS3), which was the first ambulatory surgical center in the country to receive advanced certification for total hip and knee replacement by The Joint Commission.
This distinction means that OS3 is highly qualified to perform same-day outpatient total joint replacement. Our facility passed the certification program because it met the highest standards set forth by The Joint Commission:
- The dedicated staff sees ONLY orthopedic patients.
- The facility is open 23 hours a day, so patients can stay longer to recover, if necessary.
- A doctor is on staff to supervise patients who require an extended stay.
- Our pre-op nurses administer oral analgesia and anti-nausea medications prior to surgery. To date, we have never had to postpone discharging a patient due to nausea.
- Our anesthesiologists are experienced in the advanced regional anesthetic techniques used for same-day joint replacement.
- Our anesthesiologists also utilize a multi-modal approach to prevent blood clots (deep vein thrombosis, or DVT).
Contact us today to schedule a consultation at Spectrum Orthopaedics in North Canton with one of our joint replacement surgeons. We can be reached at (330) 305-0838 or you can use our online appointment request form.
Request An Appointment