Outpatient Total Joint Replacement Surgery
Start the recovery process in the comfort of your own home just hours after surgery.
Request a Consultation!
To see if outpatient hip or knee replacement is right for you, call (330) 754-3188 or complete the form below to meet with a Spectrum surgeon.
Why Same-Day Total Joint Replacement?
Traditionally performed as inpatient procedures, total hip replacement, total knee replacement, and partial knee replacement surgeries can now be performed on an outpatient basis. This allows patients to go home just hours after surgery and return to their normal activities within 2 to 4 weeks, as opposed to 2 to 3 months following traditional hip or knee replacement surgery.
Other benefits of minimally invasive outpatient hip and knee replacement include:
- Ability to recover in the comfort of your own home, thereby eliminating the risk of hospital-acquired infections
- Smaller incisions, which result in:
- Less pain and swelling
- Decreased scarring
- Faster recovery
- Minimal blood loss during surgery and reduced risk of complications
- Less damage to surrounding tissues
- Increased range of motion after surgery
Meet Our Total Joint Replacement Team
Spectrum is a leader in total joint surgery. Our highly trained and skilled surgeons explore all of your options including therapy, injections, and stem cell treatment.
Tim K. Conlan, MD
- Minimally Invasive/ Rapid Recovery Hip and Knee Replacement
- Same-Day Total Joint Replacement
Steven Coss, MD
- Minimally Invasive Total Joint Replacement
Jeffrey S. Dulik, DO
- Outpatient Total Joint Replacement
- Same-Day Total Joint Replacement
Ericka Glass, MD
- Orthopaedic trauma
Michael K. Lykins, DO
- Total Joint Replacement of the Knee, Hip, and Shoulder
Dean J. Marshall, DO
- Outpatient Joint Replacement Surgery
Is Same-Day Joint Replacement Surgery Right for You?
You may be a candidate for same-day joint replacement surgery if:
- You are active and in good health, with no major medical conditions (heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity, uncontrolled diabetes, etc.)
- You have a strong support system at home, with family or friends who are willing to assist in your recovery.
- You are committed to your physical therapy care plan and willing to do what it takes to recover at home.
Our goal is excellence. We are committed to providing exceptional, safe, high-quality care before, during, and after your surgery. Talk with one of our surgeons to find out if outpatient total joint replacement surgery is right for you.
Ohio Specialty Surgical Suites
The facility passed the certification program because it met the highest standards set forth by The Joint Commission such as:
- The dedicated staff sees ONLY orthopedic patients.
- The facility is open 23 hours a day, so patients can stay longer to recover, if necessary.
- A doctor is on staff to supervise patients who require an extended stay.
- Our pre-op nurses administer oral analgesia and anti-nausea medications prior to surgery. To date, we have never had to postpone discharging a patient due to nausea.
- Our anesthesiologists are experienced in advanced regional anesthetic techniques used for same-day joint replacement.
- Our anesthesiologists also utilize a multimodal approach to prevent blood clots (deep vein thrombosis, or DVT).
Surgeons at Spectrum Orthopedics perform same-day outpatient total joint replacement at Ohio Specialty Surgical Suites (OS3), which is on the same campus as Spectrum. OS3 is:
- The first ambulatory surgical center in the country to receive advanced certification for total hip and knee replacement by The Joint Commission.
- The only ambulatory surgery center in northeast Ohio to perform outpatient hip and knee replacements.
- The only outpatient surgery center performing robotic-assisted surgery for partial and total knee replacements.
Prior to your outpatient hip or knee replacement, your orthopedic surgeon will explain how the surgery will be performed, while the surgery center staff will explain how to prepare for surgery, what happens when you arrive for your procedure, and what to expect as you recover at home.
You and your support people, such as your spouse, will meet with the anesthesia team and on-site physical therapists who will:
- Provide you with detailed instructions in pre-operative cleansing, ambulation with a walker, and post-operative physical therapy.
- Discuss the type of anesthesia you will receive and give you medications or prescriptions to be filled in advance of the surgery.
A physical therapist will have you on your feet within hours your same-day hip or knee replacement. Once your vital signs are stable and you can tolerate a regular diet and maintain adequate pain control with oral pain medication, you will be discharged to go home.
- Physical therapy after knee replacement surgery: You will go home with a sequential compression device and begin outpatient physical therapy the next day, where you will receive a customized, accelerated rehabilitation program to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.
- Physical therapy after hip replacement surgery: Many of our hip replacement patients do not need outpatient physical therapy. Your doctor will provide instructions at discharge regarding rehabilitation.